Road Tests: Who Can Give Them?

January 31, 2017 – A road test should be given by a motor carrier or a person designated by it. However, a driver who is appointed by the motor carrier must be given the test by an individual other than him or herself. The test should be conducted by a designated person who is competent and able to evaluate and determine whether a test taker has effectively demonstrated that he or she is capable of operating a commercial motor vehicle and associated equipment. This constitutes compliance with the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) Section 391.31.

If the road test is successfully completed, the person who gave it shall complete a certificate of driver’s road test. Download a sample Certificate of Driver’s Road Test.

There is an exception that organizations can use in lieu of giving a road test. In some cases, a person may present an operator’s license or certificate of road test in accordance with Section 391.33 as an equivalent to a road test. Acceptance of this documentation is at the motor carrier’s discretion. A motor carrier may require a person take a road test, or any other test of a person’s driving skill, as a condition to his or her employment as a driver.

It is a preferred best practice to give road tests to drivers before employment.

Need assistance conducting a road test? Contact your advisor. Don’t have an advisor? No problem. We’ll help you find one.

Find an Advisor


*Downloadable content is reserved for North Risk Partners clients. Login credentials are needed to download the sample Certificate of Driver’s Road Test. If you don’t know your login credentials, please contact your advisor.

This blog post is not intended to be exhaustive nor should any discussion or opinions be construed as legal advice. Readers should contact legal counsel for legal advice. Content provided by our professional consulting partners at Integrated Loss Control, Inc.

Posted in ,